2nd July 2019
To be a good Dietitian you need to…
- be caring and compassionate to other people’s feelings
- be willing to keep up to date with current nutrition information and research
- have an interest in and knowledge of the scientific aspects of food
- have excellent interpersonal skills to develop relationships with patients/carers
- have good understanding and tact to deal with sensitive issues
- be able to help patients overcome barriers and create positive change
If you’re thinking career as a dietitian…
See HCPC – Approved programmes for professional qualifications in dietetics, each institution sets its own entry requirements, so it’s important to check carefully.
To practise as a dietitian, you must be registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC).
If you already have a degree in a life science subject, with an acceptable level of human physiology and biochemistry, you can take a postgraduate Diploma or Masters in dietetics.