Menu Created with Sketch.

Funding support information for students

In March 2019, Office for Students carried out research about the recruitment of mature students into healthcare careers. In the wake of changes to the financing of degrees, the research suggested that the issues affecting applications included debt-aversion. In response to this, I See The Difference/SIHED team have prepared some information on funding support available for students on healthcare courses. Read on to find out if you could be due any financial support.

Learning Support Fund

The Learning Support Fund offers support for:

  • Students with at least one dependent child (Child Dependants Allowance). Students with children can claim a £1,000 Child Dependants Allowance from the NHS Business Services Authority, as well as non-repayable support through the mainstream student funding system to help support childcare costs. A non-repayable Parents’ Learning Allowance is also available.
  • Practice placement travel and/or temporary accommodation costs (Travel and Dual Accommodation Expenses). Students on healthcare courses spend a great deal of time on clinical placements away from the university. In some cases, this means that students need to travel longer distances than usual or even stay away from home for a period of time. Students on these courses are eligible for reimbursement of additional travel and accommodation costs, in addition to normal daily travel costs. 
  • Students experiencing financial hardship (Exceptional Support Fund). In some cases students may be eligible for certain additional support through the Learning Support Fund, including up to £3,000 for exceptional hardship.

Student Loan Company

All undergraduate and postgraduate nursing, midwifery and most allied health profession students can access student loans. Student loans cover tuition fee costs and contribute towards living expenses. The tuition fee is transferred directly to the university, so the student won’t have to get involved in that process.

The student maintenance loan is means tested. This means the amount that can be borrowed to support living costs will depend on the individual’s circumstances (your household income, whether or not you will live at home whilst studying, and whether or not you live in London).

Details of these loans are available on the Government’s student support website.

Other support and information

  • Most students cannot take out a second student loan but the Government has made a special exception for healthcare students. If you already have a degree you can take out a second loan on the same terms as other students. The same basic repayment arrangement will apply even when you have two loans.
  • Students who are obliged to incur essential additional expenditure while undertaking a course of higher education as a result of a disability will qualify for Disabled Students’ Allowance.
  • The student support system provides additional, non-repayable grants, to students with adult dependants.
  • Nearly all universities offer extra money in the form of scholarships or bursaries to help with the cost of going to university. These are in addition to student loans and you don’t have to pay them back. They might take the form of cash or discounted services or accommodation. Some universities also offer fee waivers that will reduce the loan that you have to pay back.

Further information

Top Tips for a UCAS application for studying on a Paramedic course
As the UCAS deadline approaches, (15 January 2020!) here are five top tips, for those.. more
Other AHPs
Podiatrist, Emma McConnachie, tells us that her knowledge and expertise saved her father’s life!
“After helping to save my Dad’s life twice in 3 months, he says that I.. more
Keeping Podiatry in the family
Children following their parents into the Podiatry profession happens fairly frequently. For many young people,.. more